Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
KCC > Faculty & Staff > Copyright > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who maintains a file with copyright permission-to-use slips? 

Each requestor must maintain his/her own file.

Who is responsible for securing copyright compliance? 

It is the responsibility of the requestor to determine if copyright is needed, secured and that media has been notified. Karen Becker is available for consultation or to assist in obtaining copyright permission. 

Note: Media must be notified each time a request to copy is made.

Why are we getting notification of copyright compliance from Media? 

Nothing on the submitted document indicates that copyright permissions have been obtained. 

What is the easiest way to notify media that copyright compliance has been secured? 

Add a statement to each request reading "used with permission" along with a citation indicating the owner.

What types of documents are being received which don't clearly have copyright permissions? 

  • Items created by KCC faculty--include a note at the bottom of the page indicating which faculty member created the handout
  • Workbooks of lab manual pages--these are meant to be consumed by the student at first use and, by law, cannot be copied
  • Test banks from textbook producers--keep the copyright statement on the test bank and add the first page (including the textbook publisher)

May I show DVDs or streamed videos in my class?

Use of video in a face to face classroom setting is permissible provided that showing the film ties into the educational outcomes of the course. A film may not be shown as a replacement to teaching. For example an instructor knows he/she is going to be gone and wants to show a film on the day of the absence. This would not be considered fair use.

In an online setting the answer is more complicated. 

  • Content from licensed databases such as Films on Demand or Alexander Street Press are permissible. The library has paid for access to these resources and use in the classroom and online is permitted. 
  • Content from YouTube is generally permissible as well. 
  • Content from sources like Netflix and Hulu, probably not, since the license agreement which subscribers agree to typically limit viewing to "personal use only". One workaround to these agreements is to require students to subscribe to the service for the length of the course

I have an article that I'd like to use in my class is that allowed? 

Yes. Generally, distribution of an article for educational purposes is considered fair use. It is recommended that if the article is available online or over the Internet students be provided with the link to access themselves. In the case where the article is not available online copying and distributing in class is considered fair use. Repeated use of the same article will, however weight against fair use, so use the same article no more than 3 semesters.

I have a copy of an old VHS which is deteriorating.  It is still useful for my course and I'd like to make a DVD copy of this.  Can I do this? 

The answer to this is it depends upon the circumstances.  For more information contact Karen Becker

Can I show feature films to members of a student club?

To show a film outside a class (including student clubs) requires a public performance license.  For more information contact Laura Ryan or Karen Becker