Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
KCC > Future Students > Paying for College > Financial Aid > Eligibility for Federal & State Aid

Eligibility for Federal & State Aid

To be eligible for financial aid at KCC, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.*
  • Be a high school graduate or GED graduate. Official transcripts must be on file in KCC's Office of Admissions and Registration.
  • Have selected and be admitted to an eligible curriculum. An eligible curriculum is one that leads to an associate degree or to an advanced certificate and requires at least 16 semester hours to complete. However, there are some exceptions. Verify eligibility of programs for Title IV aid with the Office of Financial Aid. 
  • Have financial need (except for Unsubsidized Stafford Loans).
  • Enroll for courses by the Financial Aid Eligibility Date
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (a minimum of six credit hours) for most aid.
  • Attend all classes to be considered enrolled.
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required).*
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan.

Conviction of drug distribution or possession may make you ineligible.

*Retention of Illinois Students & Equity (RISE) Act​

*KCC RISE ACT flier and information

Maintaining Financial Aid Eligibility

To maintain your eligibility to receive financial aid once you are enrolled at KCC, you must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements:

  • Maintain the grade point average specified in the academic regulations in KCC's college catalog. The required GPA is based on the number of credit hours you have attempted.
  • Maintain a completion rate of 67% for all hours attempted.
  • Complete the program you started before attempting more than 150% of the hours required. 


This 150% is determined through the calculation of "attempted hours."

  • All courses taken at KCC and all transfer courses credited at KCC.
  • Courses in which you remain enrolled at the end of the tuition refund period each semester, even if you later withdraw from these courses.
  • Courses which are of a remedial or prerequisite nature.
  • If you change your program of study at KCC, you still will be evaluated under the 150% time frame established for your original program unless a Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal is approved. Consult a KCC advisor.

For further information, please refer to your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status and the KCC SAP Policy.