Here's what you need to know about borrowing and returning library items.
To borrow or check-out any item from the Miner Memorial Library, or to request an item through interlibrary loan, you will need an ID/library card.
- The KCC photo ID issued to all students, staff and faculty also serves as your library card.
- Residents of KCC District 520 can purchase a card for $5, valid for 2 years.
- ID cards are generally made in the library, though during peak registration times, the ID machine may be relocated to Student Services, on the second floor.
- Lost cards should be reported to the library circulation desk. A replacement card is $5.
- View the full library card policy
- Items are checked out for four (4) weeks to students, staff, and community borrowers, and for 16 weeks to faculty.
- Books, audiobooks and CDs are available for use outside the library. All other materials, including reserves and DVD/VHS must be used in the library only.
- Materials can be returned to the circulation desk during library hours, or to the book drop located in the wall next to the library entrance when the library is closed.
- Laptops, mini-recorders and calculators are available for TRIO students, KCC staff and faculty. Learn more about equipment loans.
- View details about the library's borrowing policies.
- Books may be renewed one time as long as the item has not been recalled for use by another patron.
- To renew an item, bring it to the circulation desk, or use the Renew button in KCC's Online Catalog. Learn more about renewing an item.
- Items will not be able to be renewed if they have already been renewed once, or if you have unpaid library fines or fees.
Fines and fees
- If items are not returned in a timely manner, you will be billed $75 for the replacement of the item.
- If items are returned damaged, you will be billed either for repairs or replacement.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended for patrons who have been billed. This means that you are unable to check out or renew items from KCC's library, or from any other I-Share library. This suspension will also prevent registering for classes, receiving grades or transcripts, and graduation.
- Always check the KCC online catalog and the I-Share catalog to make sure resources on your topic are not available before placing an Interlibrary loan request.
- Use WorldCat to locate an item and click the ILL button to request it.
- Read step-by-step directions on how to place an ILL request in I-Share and in WorldCat.
- Requests take a week to 10 days to be filled. Uncommon items may take longer to obtain.
- Patrons are limited to five (5) item requests and five (5) article requests at one time.
- You will be notified by e-mail or phone when your request has been filled. Pick up your item(s) at the circulation desk. Items will be returned after two (2) weeks if they have not been picked up.
- Request a renewal by bringing the item to the circulation desk, or by emailing the ILL librarian three days before the materials are due.
- Review KCC's interlibrary loan policies