Time & Place
Commencement is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday, May 11 in KCC's George H. Ryan Gymnasium. Guests who are unable to attend can access the ceremony from any web browser.
- Doors to the gym open at 8:45 a.m. for guests needing assistance and 9 a.m. for general seating. Doors will close at 9:55 a.m. or when seating capacity is reached.
- Strollers may be parked in the Activities Building lobby but are not permitted in the gymnasium. Also, guests are kindly asked not to bring balloons and other large celebratory items that could obstruct the view of others.
Three months before graduation:
- Be sure any official transcripts are evaluated by KCC, if transfer credits are needed to satisfy degree requirements.
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to petition to graduate by phoning 815-802-8500 or emailing email@example.com.
- Pay all outstanding fees and fines.
KCC will review your petition to ensure all degree requirements are complete and financial obligations are paid. If they are, you will receive an email inviting you to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
- Complete the Commencement Participation Form.
- Purchase your cap, gown and tassel.
- Reference Frequently Asked Questions.
- Attend commencement.
Your diploma will be mailed to the address on your petition approximately six weeks after the commencement ceremony.
- More information about the petition: Contact the Office of Admissions and Registration: 815-802-8500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information about the commencement ceremony: Contact the Department of Student Affairs: 815-802-8509 or email email@example.com
Caps & Gowns
Pick up your cap, gown and tassel April 30 - May 2 from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. in Room L120, the Cavalier Room. If you have questions, please contact Student Affairs at 815-802-8509 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To have your gown looking its best for commencement, place it on a hanger to allow the folds to fall out, preferably in a high-humidity area. To press (iron) your gown, turn it inside out and press with a warm—not hot—iron. Steaming is also an option.
The commencement speaker will be announced in early May 2024.
Graduates will receive a diploma cover as they cross the platform, but the actual diplomas will not be presented at the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed to graduates after final grades are processed. This is common practice at most colleges and universities.
Professional photographers will be at commencement taking photos before, during and after the ceremony. They will take photos of graduates as they leave the stage. Individual photos may be ordered from Image Group Photography. Choose the link to the KCC Photo Gallery.
If you are from out of town, review the directions to KCC Riverfront Campus, 100 College Drive, Kankakee. Park in any designated open parking lot. Disabled parking is available in the first row.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is Commencement?
Commencement is Saturday, May 11.
- How do I notify you that I plan to participate in the commencement ceremony?
Complete the commencement participation form and submit it by Friday, March 22.
- How much does my cap and gown cost?
The cost is $29 and purchased from Oak Hall Inc. using the link provided in the commencement email sent to eligible graduates.
They accept credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) payments.
- When can I pick up my cap and gown?
Pick up your cap, gown, tassel on April 30 - May 2 from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. in Room L120, Cavalier Room
- How do I properly care for my gown?
Hang the gown on a hanger to allow the folds to fall out. The best location is a high humidity area. To press (iron) your gown, turn it inside out and press with a warm—not hot—iron. Steaming is also an option.
- Can I engage in social media during the ceremony?
Yes! Feel free to share your experience with family and friends through Twitter, Facebook, etc. during the ceremony.
- How many family members and friends can I bring to the ceremony?
Graduates are not limited to the number of guests they may invite. Wristbands are not required for your guests to join you in the gymnasium. Guests who are not seated in the gymnasium by 9:55 a.m. may watch the ceremony on a live videocast in the auditorium (Room L110), the Iroquois Room (Room D152) or the Workforce Development Center Conference Hall (Room D140). Guests may also access the ceremony from any web browser.
- Do I get my actual diploma that day?
Spring grades are not due to the college records office until Monday, May 15, so actual diplomas will not be presented at an in-person ceremony. You will receive a diploma cover and the actual diploma will be mailed to your home. This practice is common at most colleges and universities.
- What if I still owe the college money?
You can still participate in the commencement program. Please make arrangements with the Accounting Office to have this obligation resolved.