TRIO Student Support Services
The TRIO Student Support Services program assists low-income students who are first-generation college students and students with disabilities who are seeking to transfer to four-year institutions to complete bachelor's degrees.
Benefits of TRIO
The goal of TRIO Student Support Services is to ensure qualified students get the support they need to complete their educational goals at KCC — which could include earning an associate degree — and smoothly transfer to a college or university to complete baccalaureate degrees.
Benefits of TRIO Student Support Services
- Individualized academic advising — each student builds a working relationship with an advisor.
- Educational planning — each student has a long-range, semester-by-semester plan.
- Transfer assistance — assistance will be provided with admissions procedures and financial assistance at four-year colleges. Mentoring programs at the four-year colleges also will involve faculty and/or upper-class students.
- Financial aid and scholarship application assistance — personal assistance with financial aid and scholarship applications is provided.
- Exposure to cultural events — arrangements are made for students to attend musical productions, theater productions, and other cultural events locally, in the Chicago area and throughout Illinois.
- Career development activities — realistic career planning is offered using the latest in state and government statistics on job availability and salary ranges.
Become a TRIO student
Join TRIO and gain an advisor/coach/friend to guide you through the stages of your college career.
Studies show that as the amount of education beyond high school increases, so does the positive life experiences.
Individuals with higher education earn more money, have improved self-esteem, serve as positive role models for youth and are more culturally and socially developed.
Are you eligible?
To participate in TRIO Student Support Services, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be enrolled, or be accepted for enrollment, at KCC in a transfer program.
- Need educational support to succeed in college.
You must be one of the following:
- Low-income (based on federal guidelines)
- First-generation (neither parent has a bachelor's degree) or
- Have a documented disability.
The TRIO Student Support Services program assists the following students who are focused on their educational goals and are seeking to further their career opportunities:
- first generation
- students with disabilities
TRIO provides a variety of educational support services and is dedicated to its goal of increasing college retention and graduation and/or transfer rates for eligible participants.